Caesarean section (C-Section) is the delivery of a baby through an incision in the mother’s lower abdomen and the uterus. It is the most common method of in the United States and some parts of the world. Caesarean operation is the most common hospital based operative procedure accounting for more than 25 percent of all live births, the increase has been attributed to the of indication for fetal distress and breech presentation as well as elective repeat section (Zapata et al., 2010; Sankaran and Manyonda, 2008).
Despite its dramatic impact on the society little attention has been focused on the cumulative consequences of this major surgical procedure with its implication not only for the current pregnancy but also for future reproduction.
Caesarean section is a method of delivery that is voluntary adopted upon the bases of awareness, acceptance and responsible decision by individuals and couples in order to promote health and welfare of the mother and the foetus. This contributes effectively to socio-economic development of the country (Viloset al., 2001). However, there are no reliable data regarding the cumulative longtime morbidity associated with caesarean birth. In many medical centres, the overall rate would be significantly higher, if there had not been a change in attitude facilitating in the awareness and acceptance of vaginal birth after caesarean section.
Many people believe that caesarean section is not something good, they believe that giving birth by oneself is the normal thing and giving birth through operation is a taboo but withthis research one will be able to know the awareness and acceptance of expectant mother toward caesarean section(Shenet al., 2009).
Regardless of the controversial issue on this practice of caesarean section as a method of delivery, and to select from among the available method that is most consistent with their cultural background and sense of responsibility.
1.1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Caesarean section is performed whenever it is suspected that safe vaginal delivery will jeopardize the well-being of the mother, foetus or both(Kim et al., 2009).
The procedure is voluntarily adopted upon the basis of awareness, acceptanceand couples i`n other to promote the health and welfare of the mother and foetus (Bhaveet al., 2014).
Just as for other surgical procedures by many Africans as a taboo and highly fearful operation. Many pregnant women that need caesarean section to deliver seek for alternative means to deliver, such as visiting herbalist houses, mission houses and traditional birth attendant. Many pregnant women die in the process (Agdi and Tulandi, 2008).
Caesarean section is the most common united method in the United States and some parts of the world and it account for more than 25% of all life birth. While it is a preferred process for some expectant mothers in the developed country, it bis seen and viewed in the developing country as a pathway to grave (Sener and Seckin, 1996).
It is on this basis that the researcher wants to know the awareness and acceptance of expectant mothers of caesarean section.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
- To determine the level of awareness of caesarean section among expectant mothers’.
- To determine the level of acceptance of caesarean section among expectant mothers
- To determine the level of influence of education on pregnant mother about caesarean section.
1.3 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This research study aims to assess the level of awareness and acceptance of caesarean section among expectant mothers’ attending antenatal clinic in Iruekpen Comprehensive Health Centre Iruekpen, Esan West Local Area Government Edo State of Nigeria.
And the factors that influence the acceptance by expectant mothers about the procedure.
This study also aims to inform the entire Nigeria society about caesarean section advantages and disadvantages as regard the family.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- What is the level of awareness of caesarean section among expectant mothers .?
- What is the level of acceptance of caesarean section among expectant mothers?
- What is the level of influence of education on pregnant mother about caesarean section?
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research was carried out among expectant mothers attending antenatal Clinicin Iruekpen Comprehensive Health Centre Irruekpen, EsanWest Local Government Edo State Nigeria.
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The limitation of this study is time allocated and financial constraint.
1.7 OPERATIONAL DEFINITION OF TERMS
This part of research work will deal with operational definition of common terms applied to this research work.
- opinion of feelings or thought about somebody or something, rather facts.
- Caesarean Section:-This is a way of delivery of foetus from the uterus through the incision made from abdomen into the uterus.
- Expectant mothers:-These are pregnant women.
- Antenatal Clinic:-It is a place where pregnant women visit for periodic check-up and for health education concerning their health status.
- Delivery: –This is act of given birth.
- Spontaneous Vaginal Delivery:- This is an act of giving birth through the vaginal without any special aid or stimulation
- Metropolis:- A community of people living in a particular region sharing customs, laws and organization.
- Complication:-There are had unexpected situation that arises following a procedure.
- Awareness:-To know that something exists and is important.
- Acceptance :-The act of accepting something or willingness to accept an unpleasant or difficult situation.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, eProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. eProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on eProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.