It is common to see reports of business failing than business succeeding. Almost always, the failure or success of a business can be attributed to its management. When a business is mismanaged, it will lead to liquidation, the company will not meet their solvency margin thereby running away from their obligation as to settle claims which in turn portray ugly insurance image. This study therefore is exploratory study designed to determine how life assurance funds are properly managed. The population of the study comprises both staff and customers of Selected Insurance firms. A sample size of fifty (50) was selected made up of 20 staff and 30 customers. Both primary and secondary data were collected. Questionnaire coupled with personal interviews were the main research instrument. The data was analyzed by the use of chi-square statistical method. The study came out that for proper management of life insurance fund, the premium should be invested both in short and long term investments so that insurance company will meet their obligation as to settle claims. It was recommended that all the stakeholders, including management of insurance companies, policy makers and policy holders should collaborate and come out with conducive business climate to ensure effective management of life assurance funds for greater returns to investors.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title Page ii
Approval Page iii
Table of Contents vi
- Background of study 1
- Statement of problem 5
- Objectives of the Study 5
- Research Questions 5
- Research Hypothesis 7
- Significant of the study 7
- Scope and Limitation of the Study 8
- Definition of the Terms 9
- An overview 13
- Historical Development of the case Study 15
- History of life Assurance Programm 16
- Meaning and purpose of fund 18
- Management of Insurance Fund 21
- Model to guide Life Assurance Fund 23
- Problem encountered in the investment of insurance
- Prospect of Adequate Management 27
Research Methodology and Design
3.1 An overview 32
3.2 Sources of Data 33
3.3 Population of study 35
3.4 Sampling Size Determination 36
3.5 Questionnaire Administration 37
3.6 Method of Data Analysis 37
DATA PRESENTATION, ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION OF FINDINGS
An Overview 40
- Data Presentation 40
- Testing of Hypothesis 54
- Discussion of Findings 58
SUMMARY OF FINDING, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
- Summary of Findings 60
- Conclusions 63
- Recommendations 67
- Suggestions for Further Studies 68
- Background of the Study
It is common to see reports of business failing than business succeeding. Almost always, the failure or success of a business can be attributed to its management. When a business is mismanaged, it will lead to liquidation the company will not meet their solvency margin thereby running away from their obligation as to settle claims which in turn portray ugly insurance image. However, it will also have a drastic effect on the Nigeria economy when it failed. In order to nurture the interaction, this research focus on insurance industries and how they managed life assurance premium, to know if the premium are invested as stipulated by law, how they handle claims and the beneficiaries and also how life assurance fund help in the economic development of Nigeria.
Moreover, management of life assurance fund in insurance industry relates primarily to the way the industry managed life assurance premium in order to achieve organizational goals and objectives using available fund efficiently and effectively.
However, in context to management, Selected Insurance firmslimited is an associate of union Bank of Nigeria Plc.The company was registered as an insurer on November 18, 1993 and actually commences business in 1998. At the time, it was the first attempt by any bank to venture into universal banking. It therefore became the life assurance specialist’s underwriter with in the same period. Recently, Union assurance is redefining those strong potentials to challenge industry management with the top five brackets. Apart from restructuring its operations, the company is diversifying and expanding at a period where competitors are contracting due to uncertain economic conditions. A new management driving change and excellence is in place and venturing into new frontiers that were uncultivated. The change in management has also brought to bear on the company’s operations, innovations which are impacting positively on the work culture in Union assurance. Union assurance also has a robust investment portfolio cutting across assets in the equity, money bond and property markets totaling over N5 Billion, they also employs a conservative but dynamic investment strategy geared towards increasing the company’s income and profitability.
More so, in managing life assurance funds money is pooled together with that of other investors to create a single strong fund that provide significant investors benefits which includes an instant increase in buying strength, thereby contributing towards economic development in Nigeria. However, life assurance fund are funds accumulated through payment made by the assured person called premium so that should death occur, prior to a specified date or upon survival at an agreed period funds would be made available from the scheme to pay whatever benefits that are due. The idea for assistance and association is not new to the Nigeria society various town and clan unions and social clubs have various ways of showing benevolence to their bereaved. It is customary for people to pay condolence visit and present a sympathy purse. These practices are similar to mutual life assurance.
In addition to this, there are also the long-term needs to create and sustain an enabling environment that will engender safe practice against destructive runs in managing life assurance funds, protecting and ensuring fair play among insures in the industry.
- Statement of Problems
Complex set of interrelated problems are identify as follows:
- Mismanagement of life assurance premium which lead to liquidation.
- Inability to invest life assurance funds in varieties of security due to lack of experts.
- Ineffective investment management of life assurance fund which affect expectations of the insuring public and the growth of the industry.
- Objectives of the Study
Having been exposed to the problems the researcher tends to achieve the following:
- To described the implication and suggest possible ways of managing life assurance fund.
- To assess the factors that determines the area of investments of life assurance fund.
- To ascertain whether life assurance funds are invested more on short-term investment than on long-term investment instruments or vice versa.
- To promote investors’ confidence towards life assurance
- Research Questions
- What appropriate strategies can be put in place to ensure effective management of life assurance funds?
- What factors determine the areas of investment of life assurance funds?
- What forms of investments is life assurance funds put into most, (long-term or short-term investment instruments)?
- What are the trend expectations of the insuring public?
- Research Hypothesis
The research work tends to test the following hypothesis listed below:
H0: Management of life assurance fund has no positive effect on the economic growth and development of Nigeria.
H1: Management of life assurance fund has positive effect on the economic growth and development of Nigeria.
- Significance of the Study
It is aimed that this study will help the insurance industry to plan, organize and control life assurance fund in order to maintain proficiency and standard in insurance practice, thereby investing life assurance fund in varieties of investments, in turn have adequate fund to settle claims which will portray good insurance image and brings development in Nigeria economy.
It will also aid the candidate or student having HND in insurance to know the various areas where insurance can invest.
- The Scope and Limitations of the Study
This research work limit to one of the insurance companies in Enugu, Selected Insurance firms of Nigeria to be precise.
There are a lot of constraints in the gathering of information of this research work but the major constrain are as follows:
- Time: in report to the theoretical and practical work the time allowed for project was limited besides there was carried out with other academic assessments.
- Finance: Due to high rate of academic fees, I could not be able to carry out research with easy as I was planned.
- Definition of The Terms
- Management: this is the act of running and controlling a business or similar organization so as to achieve the organizational goal.
- Insurance: is a contact between two parties insured and insurer whereby the insured pay small amount of money called premium and the insurer promise to compensate the insured when the specified risk insured against occur.
- Life Assurance: is a contract of insurance on party called the insurer agreed that subject to some terms exceptions and conditions that he would pay some money on the death of life assured on the precious maturity of the policy.
- Fund: this is an amount of money that have been saved or made available for a particular purpose.
- Premium: is the monetary consideration paid by the insured for insurance cover i.e. the price of services rendered.
- Investment: to put money, effort, time into something to make a profit or get an advantage. It can be buying of property or share in a company as to make profit out of it.
- Mismanagement: to organize or control a business badly
- Liquidation: to cause a business to close, so that its assets can be sold to pay its debts i.e. the process by which a company or part of a company is bought to an end, and the asset and property of a company redistributed. These can also be seen as winding up of a firm by selling off its free (un-pledge) assets to convert them into cash to pay the firm’s unsecured creditors.
- Solvency Margin: this is a minimum excess on an insurance assets over its liabilities set by regulators, it can be regard as similar to capital adequacy. It is also company ability to pay claims.
- Policyholder: is a person or a corporation who owns an insurance policy. It also, the owner of an insurance policy; usually, but not always the insured.
- Stakeholder: A person, group or organization that has interest or concern in an organization i.e. a person, group, organization, member or system who affects or can be affected by an organization actions.
Agabi C (2013) mutual funds tipped to yield high returns
published online on 30 July www.allafrica.com
Broby D (2010) A guild to fund management, risk books,
Ezerim B.C (2006) Determinates of insurance investments
in Nigeria a partial Adjustment s union Digest Lagos.
Fredrick A.C (1999) insurance principals and practice 2nd
Edition published by john and wily & son
Free insurance advice (2013) Latest insurance news
August 1, publish
Chartered insurance institute (2006) Business practice,
study course DO4 chapter 3
Godwin E (2013) Redefining Union assurance, publish
Greene D (2005) Risk & insurance management south
western publishing company ohio.
Iyadu O. (1998) Management of insurance funds WAICA
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, eProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. eProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on eProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.