- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
According to Crosby (1979) “quality is conformance to requirement and those requirement must be defined in measurable and clearly stated terms.”
Quality is one of the goals or objectives organization seek to achieve. But often times this gal is not achieved due to some problems in the firms. The quality of any firms products or services, determines its position in the market.
Its success to a larger extent depends. This is quality of goods or services it produces and sells to consumers. “this is because consumers desire to get the best value for their money. The quality of product or service can only be defined by the customers.” (Deming, 1986.) This means that for a firm to be satisfied with the quality of its goods or services, it customers must first be satisfied with it.
Quality is a complex concept that has become one of the most appealing in al of management theory. This is to say that every business today wants to produce quality products or services that are acceptable to consumers, which are also affordable.
Quality control is a functional management discipline, which is responsible for defining quality purpose. The prerequisite for effective quality control are freedom from deficiency and minimum or reduced cost. Non – conformance is therefore not acceptable in reducing running costs. Some of these costs include, waste,re-work, replacement and inspection costs.
All these are manufacturing problems that should not only be detected and corrected at the earliest time but prevented if possible.
Quality control ,can therefore be achieve by establishing a standard for effective and efficient quality in the following areas:.
- In the factory building, machinery and equipment design and installation, manufacturing system and process as well as product identification system.
- In product design.
- In the market by way of intensive consumers response program which gives the needed feedback.
In addition to the established standards tolerance limits are set for every important quality. These tolerance limits are limits of variations beyond which the variations will not be accepted. The firms must determine what quality’s are needed by their customers and must try as much as possible to satisfy these needs.
Meeting these quality needs of consumers, should be a collective responsibility of everybody in an organization. The market research division will find out what these needs are, products development division will create a design to equate with the needs. Planning division will devise a process for executing the product desire and the production units will regulate the process to achieve the desired product quality.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS.
THE Nigerian business environment dynamic with ever changing work processes, practices and employees configuration. As a result of these changes, firms that are resistant to change or that cannot respond quickly and adequately to change are prone to having problems which will in the long-run affect their productivity level and profit margins adversely.
Although, the success of every manufacturing firm to a larger extent depends on the degree of its reputation for supplying quality products to consumers, yet the realization of quality standards has been a problems to many manufacturing firms to be successful, they must place great emphasis on the establishment and maintance of quality control policies of their firms. The personal responsible for effective quality control functions must be conversant with required activities in all quality control systems. It is required that quality procedures for each section be strictly followed in order to achieve good quality.
However, it is a common knowledge that the Nigerian market is being flooded with many sub-standard products. What immediately comes to the mind is the existence of problems in the quality control system or process of manufacturing firms. These problems have constituted hindrance to many firms towards the achievement of their goals and objectives like good corporate image and profit maximization.
In the looking into these problems, which this study seeks to find out, two important questions come to mind. What factors are responsible for these problems? What actions) must be taken in order to reduce or eliminate these problems and their effects on the firms?
In this study, we will be looking into the problems and prospect of quality control in manufacturing firms using Nigeria breweries plc Enugu as a case study.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
THIS STUDY AIMS AT THE FOLLOWING:.
- TO determine, identify, essence of quality control in the reader.
- To find out the importance of quality control.
- To find out the problems facing quality control their cause and possible solutions.
- To identify the different techniques of quality control.
- To determine the application and problems
This study is significant because it will or reveals the problems of quality control and how to solve or manage the problems.
THE BENEFICIARIES OF THE STUDY INCLUDE:.
- Students of marketing, production management, management and other related fields of study.
- practicing managers at all levels of management especially quality control managers.
- Owners of business (manufacturing) firms.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
To accomplish the purpose of this study, the following research questions will be examined.
- What does the firm intend to achieve through quality control.?
- How are quality standards established in Nigerian breweries, plc Enugu?
- What are the different techniques of quality control using in the firm?
- Is the current practice sufficient to ensure high quality products.?
- What are the problems the firm encounters in the practice of quality control?
- What is the out come of not using quality control?
- SCOPE OD THE STUDY
This study is focused on the problems and prospects of quality control in manufacturing firms. Due to certain limitations, the study will be narrowed down to Nigerian plc Enugu.
This study is limited by time constraint and inadequate finance. However, efforts will be made to ensure that objective data are gathered for study.
- DEFINITION OF TERMS
The following terms are defined in relation to the above topic
- management; is the process of during things using the effort of others to achieve an objective.
- Quality; means those features of products or services which meet customers need and thereby provide customer satisfaction. Quality in this sense is oriented to income .the purpose of such higher quality is to provide greater customer satisfaction and to increase income.
- Control; this is the act of checking current performance, over the determined targets contains in the plans with the view to ensuring adequate process and satisfactory performance whether physical or financial.
- Planning; this is the act of determining out the operations ,preparing the appropriate methods of effective action and determining the targets or expected performance cost and output (profitability).
Crosby, p.b. 1979 ; quality is free, New York, McGraw hill
Deming,w.e. 1986; out of crises, Cambridge ma, managing institute of technology.
Juran j.m and 2000 Jurans quality handbook fifth edition.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, eProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. eProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on eProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.