The topic of this research is the contributions of modern office equipment. In the advancement of secretarial profession. The study was restricted to Anammco and Emenite Plc. Emene, near Enugu Urban.
To conduct the study, questionnaire structured in two phases was used as the instrument for collecting data.
The instrument was validated by the use of pilot test and test –re-test method.
Phase a of the questionnaire contain personal data of the respondents while phase B contained the main questionnaire items used in eliciting the major response upon which decision were based in the research.
The population consist all the secretaries in Anammco plc and Emenite Ltd. Emene. They are 200 in number out of the population, a sample of 90 secretaries were randomly selected.
After the analysis, which were presented in tables with percentage scores, the following findings were made.
- Secretaries in Anammco and Emenite plc use modern office equipment like computer, teleprompter and telephone answering machine and E- mail.
- These secretaries do not encounter problems in the usage of such office equipment.
- Modern office equipment contributes very significantly in increasing the secretaries efficiently and effectiveness.
- Secretaries derive huge amount of Joy in using modern office equipment.
After the findings, the following recommendations were made:
- Modern office equipment should replace the old one since the modern ones enhance efficiency of secretaries.
- The challenges posed by the equipment to secretaries can be challenged by the secretaries if they put more effort in their duties which do not really require office equipment so as to make their place in the business industry indispensable.
- The management of the organization should try to procure this office equipment for Secretaries Job efficiency.
- As a result of difficulties in manipulating these equipment. Secretaries should be sent for further training.
- Organization should procure power generators to ensure that they are always functional.
- Finally, the researcher suggested that further studies could be undertaken on the place of the secretary in the success of business organization in general.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Title page ii
Approval page iii
Table of content vii
- Background of the study 1
- Statement of problem 3
- Purpose of study 4
- Significance of study 4
- Delimitation of the study 5
- Assumption of the study 5
- Research questions 5
- Definition of terms 6
Literature review 8
- The contributions of modern office equipment
to the secretary’s job efficiency 12
- Classification of modern office equipment 15
- Duties of a secretary 25
- Problem secretaries encounter in the
use of modern office equipment 29
Research methodology 31
- Design of the study 31
- Source of data 31
- Area of the study 32
- Population of the study 32
- Sample and sampling technique 32
- Instrument used for coveting data 33
- Method of administration
and collection data 34
- Method of data analysis 34
- Validity of research instrument 35
Presentation and analysis of data 36
Discussion of findings, summary, recommendations and conclusion 41
5.1 discussions of findings 41
5.2 Summary of findings 43
5.3 Recommendations 44
5.4 Conclusion 45
5.5 Limitation of study 46
5.6 Suggestion for further study 47
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
According to Neuner et al (1972), modern office equipment is the intermediary between the secretary and her Job. It enables her to accomplish more work in few hours with greater efficiency and better Quality. Also Doswell (1978) mentioned that a secretary is capable of working faster and more efficiently with modern office equipment with a minimum of fatigue.
The use of this modern office equipment by a secretary can result in greater output than that of a secretary using manual or under-developed equipment. Highly skilled personnel is sought for in business organization nowadays and to this effect, Russo et al (1980) advocated that the more productive a secretary is, the more the organization can afford to pay with in reasonable limits and hence create employment opportunities for secretaries.
The invention of office equipment necessitated the growth in large enterprise and also a technological break –through. The office, therefore, receives much on sophisticated office equipment in order to cope with the ever- increasing roles in the organization.
It seems, however, that although the higher levels of management might not make much direct use of technology, the secretary. Will. The future for office automation for this job is in providing the secretary with system that meets the real need identified as being important, rather than the ones of typing and stenography that are thought to be important.
As against the traditional office, the modern office has a lot of activities to perform with the aid of modern equipment. These day’s uncountable organizations have installed these equipment and the sectaries are present to manipulate some of them in discharging their duties officially. However, modern office equipments which act as improvement tools in the secretary’s job arose from the numerous mathematical calculations done in offices, and the use of the equipment by a secretary can result to a greater output than that of a secretary using manual equipment.
- STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Automation in office emerged to replace work and enhance office efficiency and productivity
Today, Secretaries profession has witnessed a marked change in terms of technological advancement. Modern office equipment has taken the toll of events with the growing rate of scientific and technological innovations.
There are office equipment which are used in organization to improve office work and reduce labour costs. They include electric typewriters, computers, telephone, dictating machines, facsimile transceiver, internet and others are tremendously used in offices today.
The problem of this study is that now, it has not been known the extent these modern office equipment help the secretary in performing her job, to effectiveness and efficiency.
From the use of these modern office equipment it has also not been know whether these equipment act as important tools in the much –desired secretary’s job Satisfaction.
This research work therefore attempts to find out the contributions of modern office equipments in the advancement of secretarial profession.
- PURPOSE OF THE STUDY.
The purpose of the study:
- To find out the type of office equipment used in Anammco and Enaenite.
- To find out if any of the equipment is modern
- To determine the extent the use of these equipments has assisted the secretary in performing their job.
- To find out the problems they encounter in using office equipment.
- To determine if Anammco management and Emenite management derive any economic advantage from using these machines.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY.
This research would serve as an indicator to employers so as to know the type of modern office equipment needed by the secretary that will be best for maximum efficiency and productivity of secretarial work and the entire organization. It would also serve as a means to ease workload of secretaries in office and bring about job efficiency to secretaries.
Finally, business organization would appreciate the importance of these equipment and thus procure them.
- DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study is designed to find out only the contributions of modern office equipment in the advancement of secretarial profession.
1.6 ASSUMPTION OF THE STUDY
The researcher assumes that if modern office equipment were provided in various offices they would contribute to secretarial effectiveness and efficiency.
It is also assumed that the reverse may be the case where secretaries have the skill and there is lack of modern office equipment.
The researcher also assumes that if these equipment are provided and the secretaries do not have the competence to manipulate them, their productivity would also be affected.
1.7 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- What type of office equipment does Emenite and Anammco use in their offices?
- How many of these equipment are modern?
Iii To what extent has the use of these equipment helped the secretaries in their jobs?
- What problems do the secretaries encounter in the use of these office equipment?
- What economic advantage does the Emenite and Anammco derive from using these office equipment.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
EFFECTIVENESS: The oxford advanced learners dictionary defines effectiveness as having the desired effect, of producing the intended result.
EFFICIENCY: The oxford advanced learners dictionary also defines efficiency as the ability of the people to the work well and without waste of time or resources example, competent and efficient secretary.
EQUIPMENT: The some oxford advanced learners dictionary described equipment as those things needed for particular purpose, example, equipments, are needed in offices for work.
ENHANCEMENT: Oxford advanced learners dictionary also explains enhancement as the way to increase or to improve further quality, value or status of something.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, eProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. eProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on eProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.