In this research work, the researcher intended to have a general discussion with local government as my background. But lack of space may not allow me for detailed discussion and analysis. However, all essentials part of the role of local government administration in economic and social development of rural areas in Nigeria are discussed and analysis. However, all essential parts of the “Effect of local government administration in Economic and Social Development of Rural Areas in Nigeria are discussed. In chapter one (1) discussed the background. Statement of the problem, objective of the study, some research questions, significance of the study, scope of the study, limitations of the study, scope of the study, limitation of the study and definition of some terms. Chapter two (2) contains review of related literature local government administration, social and economic development process, history of local government in Nigeria, lack of local government mobilization for communal development, sources of revenue generation in the local government chapter three contains research design and research methodology. Research design, population of study, sample size, instrument for data collection, data analysis and chapter four contain summary of findings, recommendations and conclusions. The concluded that that local government institution have succeeded to be effective and efficient tool of development, with trained personnel and funds, therefore it has made reasonable effects to other upliftment of the lives of rural dwellers. And recommended that federal government should allocate funds to the local government or the socio-economic problem to enhance their standard of living
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page ii
Approval page iii
Table of contents viii
- Background of the study 1
- Statement of the problem 3
- Purpose of the study 4
- Scope of the study 5
- Research questions 5
- Research hypothesis 6
- Significance of the study 7
- Definition of term 9
Review of related literature 10
- Local government administration 12
- Social and economic development process 17
- Characteristics of rural areas 19
- The history of local government in Nigeria 20
- Local Government Mobilization For Communal Development 24
- Sources of revenue generation in the local govt. 29
Research design and methodology 36
- Population of the study 39
- Sample Selection for the study 46
- Method of Data Collection and Analysis 48
- Analysis of Data 51
Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
- Summary of Finding 52
- Recommendation 54
- Conclusion 55
- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
This study is a modest attempt at a lucid explication of the role of local government in Nigeria.
Nigerian local government system has witnessed tremendous transformation since the introductions of the 1988 civil service reforms and its application at the local government administration one of the changes introduced to strengthen the local government is the direct payment of their statutory allocations which was increased from 15% to 20%. In addition local government auditor was established in each state government to ensure proper utilization of financial resources at the local level to check any misappropriation of public funds. Also all local government now has a common structure which distinguishes them from service department.
Local government at any level has some stand and roles such as the maintenance of law and order, the promotion of economic and social development. They are left with considerable freedom to act as they see fit for the interest of the local community.
From the point of view the government as agents of development are will place to help the rural areas to develop. These can be done by investing in social and economic infrastructure such as roads, bridges, hospitals, schools, electrification and telecommunication. The other essential duties inherited from the Native Authorities include rural and the urban water supplies markets and libraries. We generally regard the convenience list as including those extra amenities which make for a better life in the community, other than those life in the community, other than those which are concerned with fighting discuss e.g. bus and lorry parks. The regulation of handcarts on the streets, community and recreation centers, parks and open spaces, grazing areas and fuel plantations, the naming of streets and the numbering of buildings. These are recognized as automatically the responsibility of the local government. They also help in the service of park control and supply of water, electricity and gas, the provision of road and water transport, and any other trading undertaking that the state government specifically authorizes.
The local government also take care for a specifically health orientation and supplying of drugs, a midwifery service, to arrange for health visiting and home nursing to provide facilities for vaccination and immunization.
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Local government is expected to become more meaningful in facilitating social and economic development at the grassroots level. Central to the achievement of these objectives is the financial viability of this tier of government. This point has been subtly underscored by “Dasuki panel” on local government administration, when it observed inter alia that a good number of local government roles could not be performed at all, due to a variety of reasons principal among which are:
- Inadequate financial capacity
- Lack of necessary technical manpower, and erosion of functions particularly in the revenue yielding areas by state government – thus reducing the revenue base of the local government.
This demonstrates that success or failure of local government depends among other things, on their revenue base, the fiscal resources available and the way these resources are utilized. However, central to the above is the ability of the local government to generate substantial financial resources which is one of the tripartite goals of every local government in Nigeria more importantly, one is inclined to think that this is the point that can give an impact in breaking the vicious cycle of poverty of NSUKKA local government. The researcher wants to identify the reasons for the vicarious cycle, and proffer a solution to the above problems.
- OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The objective of the study are as follows:
- To identify the role to play in the economic development of rural area.
- To access the role government play in the economic development of rural area.
- To examine the extent has local government administration?
Played its roles in rural area?
- To find out the constraints that militates against the success of development process of local government?
- What are the recommendations on the problems observed.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The research questions for work will be based on the following:
- Do local governments have any role to play in the economic development of rural area?
- Local governments have any role to play in the economic development of rural area?
- To what extent has local government administration?
Played its roles in rural area?
- Is there any constraints that militate against the success of development process of local government?
- To make recommendations on the problems observed.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The need and importance of the research is obvious. At a time when local government has come to assume an overwhelming influence on the process of political and economic development.
It becomes more relevant to examine much more closely, the characters and dynamics of this three tier of government and to clarify the major contradictions that have landed to impede its capacity to promote development at local level.
However, a scientific study of this kind becomes necessary especially at this time when the past and present civilian administrations are particularly concern about rural development.
Finally, this study will generally add to the growing numbers of literature on local government affairs, more particularly on the roles of local government administration in economic ad social development of rural area in Nigeria and pragmatic solutions offered towards making them more efficient and responsive to the needs of rural Nigerians, it also to policy makers and researchers alike.
- SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research area and dimension of coverage is based on only the roles of local government administration in economic and social development of rural area in Nigeria and to staff, teachers businessmen, farmers, in Nsukka South local government of Enugu State.
- LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
It can be seen from all indications that a research such as this cannot be carried out in one semester. There are constraints that limit the work of the researcher. Among these are:
– Inadequate Time: The time available is very limited, as a result of this, the researcher is restricted to some places for interviews and questioning during the collection of data.
– Insufficient Fund: The funds available to the researcher is not sufficient to carry out this research work. As a result of high economic hardship as well as high cost of transportation.
– The inability of some government officials to disclose certain reliable information which they considered confidential may also limit the study.
– There is also scarcity of current textbooks on tax because tax laws are constantly changed and so many textbooks are obsolete for this topic.
Finally, the academic workload on the campus is one of the limiting factors on this research work. Despite all these constraints, the researcher is able to carry out a fair and effective study on this topic.
- DEFINITIONS OF TERMS
The following terms have been defined for the purpose of this study:
- Local government: This is government at a local level exercised through representative councils established by laws toe exercise specific functions with in a defined area.
- Development: Development is a multi – dimensional process involving a re-organizational and reorientation of the entire economic and social system, in addition to improve income and outcome. Its typically involves radical changes in institutional, social as well popular attitude and sometimes even customs and belief.
- Council: This refers to the organ that constitute representation of people either elected or nominated.
- Social Economic Development: This is a combination of social and economic development. It embraces improvement in not only standard of living and per-capital income, but also high level of employment, reducing inflation, adequate food, high infrastructures, stressing values rather than achievement.
- Objectives: These are end results to which an organization or government activity directed objective are hierarchical in nature are determined or formulated by top management of an organization after economic, social and political forces affecting the organization have been apprised.
- Programmes; This consists of essentially integrated series of development projects that spans over a length of time.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, eProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. eProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on eProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.