1.1 Background of the Study
It is no longer news that corruption has been existing in Nigerian administrative system since the country got her political independence in 1960, and still exists in all spheres of nations tiers of Government. It is pertinent to state from onset that the reason for the creation of Local Government in Nigeria are dependent on general mood of the nation and policy priority.
According to Nye (2012), corruption is a behavior which deviates from the formal duties of public roles, the exercise of private pecuniary or status gain or violates rules against the exercise of certain types of private gains.
Local government simply means government at grass roots level, established to bring government nearer to the local dwellers. The guideline of the 1976 local government administration defines Local Government as government at the local levels exercised through representative council, established by law to exercise power within a define area. It must also have substantial power to imitate and direct the provision of services and ensure that local imitative response to local needs and conditions are maximized.
The constitution equally ensures that the Local government benefits from both state and federal revenue to supplement it with their internal generated revenue. Local government in AnambraState, equally excelled in production of Agricultural product such as garri, rice, maize, cassava, plantain, banana etc.
In spite of all these opportunities available to the local government to develop their communities, this trend had a major stumbling block towards the development and improvement of that area. In fact, many local government in Anambra State has lagged behind in terms of development due to corruption which manifests itself in embezzlement of funds, nepotism, injustices, sycophancy, poor accountability get rich quick syndrome and other unfair attitude adopted by the workers of local government especially in Orumba South which leads to mal-administration in that area. Following the creation, Orumba South local government area in 1991, under the regime of General Babangida, Statistics had shown a high rate of corruption and mal-administration of the workers of local government.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Nigeria is rich in national and human resources which local government equally belongs to. They receive federal and state revenue allocation to supplement it with their internal generated revenue which goes along to foster development in that area.
Despite all these opportunities available to them, local government in Anambra State has been behind from development due to corruption and mal-administration to their system of administration. This ugly trend manifest itself in embezzlement of public fund, poor accountability, injustice and other unfair attitude adopted by the workers of Anambra State Local Government. This study will equally proffer solution to solve all these problems.
1.3 Research Questions
In view of the above stated problems, certain questions which are fundamental to this research work are deductible. These questions are:
- What is the impact of corruption and mal-administration in local government in Anambra State?
- What are the problems of corruption and mal-administration in Local Government in Anambra State?
- What are the ways to curb/solve the issue of corruption and mal-administration in Anambra State?
1.4 Purpose of the Study
The overall aim of this study is to explore and identify the possible measure which can be taken to curb corruption in Anambra State local government area. Notwithstanding the aim of the study:
- To find out the impact of corruption and mal-administration in Local Government in Anambra State.
- To analyze the problems of corruption and mal-administration in Local government in Anambra State.
- To ascertain the ways to curb/solve the issue of corruption and mal-administration in Anambra State.
1.5 Significance of the Study
This study will not only pave way for development to usher in among the communities that made up of Orumba South Local Government but it will equally sanitize both the workers and the people, the marketers, schools located within the area will also benefit from the research.
Also this research work will contribute to existing knowledge of man in field of administration and Nigeria as a whole, and it might also serve as a takeoff ground for the future research who might explore similar problem. Moreover, Local government administration, Federal and State Government will adopt and benefit from this research work. This project will help to foster development in Anambra State Local Government.
1.6 Scope of the Study
The scope of this study is limited to the Orumba South Local Government area, situated at Umunze to evaluate corruption and mal-administration on the workers of Orumba South Local Government as related to corruption like embezzlement of fund, poor accountability, injustice, nepotism and other mal-administrative vices in the area.
1.7 Limitation of the Study
As a matter of fact, many factors constituted an obstacle in the course of the study. Such set back like time constraint, some local government workers complained of time and did not detailed their answers and others not on seat during the research visit, even some junior workers were afraid of giving out accurate answers. Poor financial capacity equally restricted the study. Insufficient research materials also pose problem to the researcher. As the result of these limitations, the researcher makes use of the available resources at his disposal.
1.8 Definition of Terms
- Nepotism: This is favoritism, normally shown to relations by people at the helm of affairs, mainly in the public officers which is common in the government.
- Corruption: Dishonest of illegal behavior by officials in the position of power especially when they accept money in exchange for doing things for someone.
- Development: According to Todarol (1955) is a multi-dimensional process involving the re-organization and re-orientation of the entire economic and social system. Development means to improve or advance in every aspect of life.
- Administration: This is the act of management of any establishment through the use of collective activity in order to achieve a defined objective. It is the capacity to co-ordinate the activities of others in Organization by making sure that they operate as a unit to accomplish a define objective. In summary, it is the ability of a manager to combine human and material resources as a collective entity to accomplish organizational task.
- Malfeasance: It is the misconduct from public officers or servant which they exhibit that causes damages to the people around them or the organization they are working into.
- Sycophancy: Obsequious behavior towards someone important in order to gain advantages.
- Organization of the Study
The study is organized into five chapters. The introduction to this study was done in chapter one, chapter two present a review of literature and theoretical framework associated with the problems addressed in the study. Chapter three presents the methodology and procedures used for data collection and analysis. Chapter four talks about data presentation and analysis as well as interpretation of results. Chapter five offers summary, conclusion and recommendations for the study.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, eProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. eProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on eProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.