This research work looked into the impact of management succession on organization’s goal attainment using Enugu state housing development as a case study. The study investigated the techniques of bench marking to enhance management succession plan Enugu state housing development and Nigeria as a whole as the average Nigerians oriented towards succeeding the outgoing executives of management staff is simply steeping into the vacuum created by the exit of the former executives and continues from there. This study further looked into the importance of management succession plan, challenges and away to overcome the perceive weaknesses within the system. All aspects of this work are very relevant in one way or the other to Enugu state and Nigeria as a whole and for those who may be interested in carrying out further study in this topic. Data were collected through primary and secondary sources. In carrying out the investigation through primary source, number of questionnaire were designed for management staff of the corporation, while the secondary source included information from textbooks, magazines, journals, newspapers etc. The sample size of 67 representing the entire population was determined using Taro Yamene formula. The methods of statistical analysis included the use of table, percentage analysis, while chi-square was used to test the hypothesis formulated. From the available information analyzed, it was clearly stated that here is no purposeful designed operational management succession plan existing in Enugu state housing development corporation. The study therefore, recommended that management succession system has to be strategically and tactically structured in order to ensure uninterrupted continuous flow of management function from one generation to another in Enugu state housing development corporation and Nigeria as a whole.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Cover page – – – – – – – – i
Title page – – – – – – – – – ii
Certified Page – – – – – – – – iii
Dedication – – – – – – – – iv
Acknowledgement – – – – – – – vi
Abstract – – – – – – – – – vii
1.1 Background of the study – – – – – 1
1.2 Statement of the problem – – – – 6
1.3 Objective of the study – – – – 8
1.4 Research Questions – – – – – – 9
1.5 Research Hypothesis – – – – – 10
1.6 Significance of the study – – – – 12
1..7 Scope of the study – – – – – – 14
1.8 Limitation of the study – – – – 15
1.9 Definitions of Terms – – – – – 16
2.0 Review of Related Literature – – – – 20
2.1 Theoretical Framework of the study — – – 20
2.2 Conceptual Framework of the Study – – 25
2.3 Historical Background of the study – – – 27
2.4 Modalities for success in organization – – 31
2.5 Necessity for management succession – – 34
2.6 Challenges of Management Succession – – 37
2.7 Succession- planning on organizational – – 41
2.8 Influence of Age Structure – – – – – 50
2.9 Tribalism and its effect on Management – – 58
3.0 Research Design and Methodology – – – 64
3.1 Research Design – – – – – – 64
3.2 Area of the Study – – – – – – 64
3.3 Source of Data – – – – – – 64
3.3.1 Primary Data – – – – – – – 65
3.3.2 Secondary Data – – – – – – 65
3.4 Population of the study – – – – – 66
3.5 Sample Size determination and Sampling Techniques 66
3.6 Instrument for Data Collection – – – – 71
3.7 Validity of the Instrument – – – – 71
3.8 Reliability of the Instrument – – – – 71
3.9 Method of Data Presentation and Analysis – -72
4.1 Data Presentation and Analysis of Data – – 73
4.2 Testing of Hypothesis – – – – – – 81
4.3 Decision Rule – – – – – – – 94
5.1 Summary of Findings- – – – – – 95
5.2 Conclusion – – – – – — – 96
5.3 Recommendations – – – – – – – 97
5.4 Suggestion for Further Research – – – 100
- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Since Independence in 1960, Nigeria has witnessed a tremendous growth and increase in organization whose role to a large extent have been tailored to fulfill national aspirations. The expediency for personal and or organization objectives has led to government emphasis on training and development of human resources especially those on the managerial cadre.
Despite government effort, there is a basic truth about present day class of young executives. A good number of them become unsuccessful in reaching their goals because of inadequate planning by management to accommodate their skills and experience especially at the top level of an organization. Consequently, this study is aimed at exposing and identifying the defects in management style and it is the aim of this study to do this by first identifying the development of human resources. Secondly this study will emphasis on certain position in an organization, which requires conscience activities according to Druker (1975).
This is because the conscience activities and of course the extent to which it is been excluded determines the survival of the organization. One important factor to be borne in mind here is that the managers of the organization should be persons of competence, hard work, dedicated and thoughtfulness. A Doyen in management, Abebe (1980) in one of his interviews was of the view that “managers must possess insatiable desire to learn and must be leaders and not bosses and must have absolute loyalty and commitment. Equally important, according to him are qualities such as integrity, fairness, intellect, ability to work with others and possession of basic common sense”.
These qualities can be converted to reality by good management succession planning. Therefore, management succession planning is an important ability because it looks at the manager as some one who can be fully integrated by development efforts in the organization.
Like most human endeavor, there are problems which organizations are confronted with in the process of managing their workforce. This research seeks to bring out these problems, which work against the establishment of effective standards of management succession plan. Above all, the imposition of great responsibilities on business institutions of every sort makes the demand for the establishment of effective standards of management succession plan more paramount. To this end, our top management can therefore not afford to make nonsense of these valuable positions by failing to make adequate provision for the supply of top mangers for the future. Important questions that need to be answered by managers of organizations are what is our business and what should it be. It is only when this question if correctly answered that management personnel can come to the realization that the future of present decisions can be assured if good men are available to implement them when they mature Adebe States that, from the day he was told that he is going to be appointed chairman in succession to the former chairman and managing director. They started thinking of his succession as well in order to give him relevant development training and expose him to other parts of the business. He had wished that his companies could take the question of succession planning much more serious. Management being at a tangible activity has its own style and tested techniques, tools and skills. The manager must anticipate and make provision to accommodate future contingencies changes in technology and government regulations. According to Elvers (1980) “We live in a world which is constantly, facing technological change, e.g. Manual typewriter replaced with a electric typewriter and later with computer, counting machine replaced instead of calculator formerly used, Telephone reduces the need for messengers. Certainly, all organizations will continue to be effected by such changes in technology. Similarly, many of you are expecting the new elected officials to make an impact on business, which must in turn make changes. Irrespective of what new governmental officials do, all who are managers in an organization, whether a business or a governmental agency are subjected to conditions which will require that managers institute changes. These conditions may include business growth, turn out of employees, Implementation of new programmers or products, business recession, increase in competition, new governmental policies, and technological development. To be able to carryout these, the manager most possess developed skill, in order to be able to handle uncertaintity of tomorrow’s business circumstances. Ideally, only arise management will realize that most decision taken or made today may not come to pass in their working life time and such make preparations for the future and where this is failed to be done, the effect usually ends in abrupt closure of organization, creation of unemployment and any other associable social vices.
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM:
The researcher here, describe the problems facing Enugu State Housing Development Corporation.
Often time, Enugu state housing Development corporation is faced with a lot of problem resulted from unplanned management succession within the organization. Such problems like:
- Incompletion of Project: There is this problem of abandoning project half way which is as a result of inability of the predecessors to complete the project before leaving the seat. This has been a big problem to this corporation because instead of the successor to think of completing this project, he/she will initiate his /her own project which will definitely not be in order before the end of his /her tenure.
- Inexperience and Incompetence Management Staff: This is as a result of inadequacy of time to train and develop the successor due to time interval between when the predecessor left the seat and when the successor took over the seat. This has been a big blow to this corporation because; it is rendering the whole thing in this corporation ineffective. This problem of inexperience and incompetent management and staff also occurred as a result of tribalism practices. This means employing some one irrespective of his/her qualification or competency may be because he/she is from the same tribe with the employer. Thus, the organization lacks policy for promotion.
- Instability in management Policy: This occurs because as management changes so does its policy change, which means that new management, brings up its own policy which may not be in correspondent with the formal management policy and thus, if not properly watched, will jeopardize the orderliness and smooth running of the organization.
- OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The researcher’s purpose of the study is:-
- To find out whether there is a purposeful structured management succession plan that exists in the corporation.
- To determine how age structure of personnel influences the overall plan for succession in the corpora ting future activities.
- To ascertain whether tribalistics tendencies affect management succession plan.
- RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- Is there any purposeful structured management succession plan that exists in the corporation?
- Is there any relationship between the age structure of personnel and the overall plan for succession in the corpora ting future activities?
- Do tribalism and ethnicity negate the management succession in the corporation?
- RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
H01: There is no purposeful structured management succession plan that exists in the corporation.
H1: There is purposeful structured management succession plan that exists in the corporation.
H02: There is no relationship between the age structure of personnel and the overall plan for succession in the corporation future activities.
H1 There is relationship between the age structure of personnel and the overall plan for succession in the corporation future activities.
H03: Tribalism and ethnicity do not negative management succession plan.
H1 Tribalism and ethnicity negate management succession plan.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
As life processes are basically procedural and continuous so as are the entire people of Enugu State expect of the fulfillment of their housing and other social needs by working up to the corporation. Thus, if these requirements are to be fulfilled and satisfied on a conditions basis from one generation to another, then there must be some well structured plans to intake the corporation like up to its social and housing responsibilities.
Management succession planning should therefore be one of such vital factors that should be considered diligently in or determine that the corporation will remain alike and active to its responsibilities in line with the desire and aspirations of the citizen of Enugu State.
This study therefore is significant for a number of reasons:
- It will instill the awareness that every management activity must plan to accommodate contingencies. Also, it will show that planning for succession is a worthwhile top management function.
- It will point out the fact of Enugu State Housing Development Corporation for its future manager, it will be faced with the danger of failing to meet its obligation to Enugu State Citizenry. The effect of this will be acute housing problems and other social difficulties facing Enugu State Citizens.
- It will make suggestions as how human development in Enugu State Housing Development Corporation can be developed in order that it takes up to its responsibilities.
- This study will also help to expose the negative effect of unplanned management succession in Enugu State Housing Development Corporation on its goals attainment.
- Finally, management of other corporation will have many tings to benefit from the study. This is so in that it will give insight into effective corporation management and the need to provide for management succession as the executive disengage due ton registration, retirement or death, moreover, the civil society of Enugu and the future leaders will benefit from this work as this educate them as the chief executives plays the key role in the management succession process. These responsibilities to seeing that the system i.e. housing development functions efficiently are that of the chief executive.
- SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study intended to examine the impact of management succession in organization’s goal attainment, limited to the Nigeria management succession with reference to Enugu State Housing Development Corporation.
- LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
During the course of this research, the following problems were encountered.
- Financial Problems: The researcher experienced the problem of financial difficulties, and this affected the completion of this research work, most at times the materials that were needed to assist in helping the researcher could not be purchased as a result of insufficient fund.
- Transportation Problem: There was also problem of transportation. The location of Enugu State Housing Development Corporation is very far from the researcher’s residence and as a result of this; it obstructed the researcher’s constantly being there to obtain useful information.
- Time Frame: This was also another problem that affected this research work. The time given by the school management was two small to complete the research work.
Moreover, other limitations include lack of accurate data and information disappointment from Enugu state housing development staff, as well as absenteeism of respondents etc.
- DEFINITIONS OF TERMS
- Management succession: This means a process of assessing management needs and hierarchy in future of Enugu State Housing Corporation and the means of insuring that there are junior managers able to succeed more senior managers.
- Succession Planning: This is a process of identifying and developing internal people with the potential to fill the key business leadership position in the company.
- Succession plan: This is a document that shows management position in the corporation. For instance;
- The name of the present job holders
- Estimated date he will leave
- Name and experience of person in the corporation who will succeed him.
- Management development; this refers to career planning for increasing the effectiveness of individuals and meeting the needs of the organization.
- Executive development; means the early identification and development of executive talents for more effective utilization of those judged to have high and unlimited potential for senior corporate responsibilities.
- Management planning; means the anticipation provision for the manpower needs for the entire corporation.
- Age structure; refers to the distribution of age within the corporation.
- Environmental factors; refers to such factors as economic conditions, climate, natural resources, bars, customs, habits, politics, intrigues and power tussles among the various local government areas in Enugu State.
- Expediency: This is an action that is useful or necessary for a particular purpose but not always fair or right.
Abebe, C.F (1980), “How to reach the leaders”, NIM
Journal vol, 16, (4) April.
Douglas, A.E. (1980), “The management of change”
NIM Journal Vol. 16, (1) January.
Drucker F. R. (1975), “Management task Responsibilities
And Practices”, London Heinemann page 535.
James, C.W. (1974), “Management Succession” In
Handbook of Modern personnel admission by J. Famulero.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, eProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. eProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on eProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.