TABLE OF CONTENTS
Cover page i
Title page ii
Approval Page iii
Table of Contents vi
List of Tables
- Background to the Study 1
- Statement of problems 4
- Objective of the Study 5
- Scope of the Study 6
- Research Questions / Hypothesis 6
- Significance of the Study 7
2.1 Review of Literature 9
3.0 Research Methodology 38
- Research Design 38
- Area of Study 39
- Population of the Study 39
- Sample and Sampling Procedure 40
- Instrument for Data Collection 41
- Validity of the Instrument 42
- Reliability of the Instrument 42
- Method of Administering of Instrument 43
- Data Analysis Technique 44
- Discussion Rule 45
- Data Presentation and Results 46
- Summary of Findings 61
- Discussion Implementation and Recommendation
- Conclusion 63
- Implication of the Results 64
- Recommendation 66
- Suggestions for Further Study 69
- Limitation of the Study 70
LIST OF TABLE
4.1 Respondents view on the role of secretaries in an organization
- Opinion of respondents on the role played by the governments in up lighting the state of secretaries in the employ
- Views of the respondents on the factors militating against the effective performance of the secretarial functions in the ministry.
- Opinion of the respondents on if secretaries are remunerated enough for their roles in their organization.
- Respondents view on whether the modern facilities needed by the secretaries in the organization adequate.
This topic is the role of management with particular reference to the ministry of finance, Enugu. To carry out this study effectively. Five research questions were formulated. Due to the descriptive survey nature of this work both primary and secondary sources of data collection used. Data were got from the eighteen (18) senior and forty-two (42) junior secretaries that were selected from seven departments of the ministry used for the data collected the students cluster mean statistical tools were employed. The major findings of the study were. Those secretaries performed such roles as information processing, storage and dissemination as well as assisting their bosses in administrative and personnel matters. That there are various effort played by government in uplifting the states of secretaries in the employ. That there are various factors militating against the effective functions in the ministry. Those secretaries are not paid enough remuneration for their roles in the organization that there are views on whether the modern facilities needed by the secretaries in the organization adequate. The researcher therefore recommended that: A board should be set up to look into the immediate problem of secretaries with a view towards resolving modern equipment or machines should be provided for these secretaries most of whom should be retained as well as allowed to attend seminar and conferences to update their knowledge.
- BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Generally, the office no doubt makes an important contribution to economic and social life of any nation or society. Hence any complex industrial society would rapidly come to a stand still if the office is not there. This efficient organization must provide its management with efficient and sufficient information, planning control and financial services.
It is limit to expenditure on administrative services. If every one were engaged in office work there would be imbalances between productive activities and administration. The correct balance must be struck between the resources devoted to directly to productive activities so as to sustain rapid economic development of that nation.
Little Mill Standing ford and Appleby (1986) remarked that administration is that part of the management process concerned with the institution and carrying out of procedures by which the programme is held down and communicated the progress of activities is regulated and checked against target and plans.
Essentially the purpose of the office is to provide services of communication and records. This can be amplified under five headings as follows receiving information recording information giving information arranging information and safeguarding of asset.
Office can make only these vital contributions if there is both efficient office services by general management and department manager. (that is the production manager, the marketing manager the secretary and others).
Today the office is becoming such a complex place and more demanding that the executive finds it difficult to cope with the task. In other words she needs someone that would help her accomplish her tasks hence the need for a secretary. On the whole a secretary today is part and parcel of the executive and so is very indispensable. She is the person who assists the executive by displaying an export skill (imitative tact judgment and others) in performing her office function without close supervision by the executive. Thus she should posses the ability to relieve the executive of designated administrative detail when the need arises.
The role of a secretary in office administration and management to a large extent depends on the type of office she work in the post occupied by the boss and her qualification (s). The secretary deals with the boss staff visitors and all paper works.
This study is therefore an attempt to identify and analyze the role of a secretary in office administration management using ministry of finance, Enugu state as the reference point.
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Secretaries play multiple roles in any organization. They are the life wire of establishment or business outfit. By virtue of their position and the performance of their job, there exists some imminent problem. Such problems are likely to influence the role of secretaries.
- Lack of respect and recognition to secretaries from employers of labour who look down on secretarial administration and regarded those who practice it as never-do-wells
- Inadequate modern equipment used by secretaries hinders their efficiency and effectiveness of their jobs.
- Secretaries are not apportioned to use or manipulate the required equipment necessary for their profession thereby making them not fit for their profession
- Secretaries are always regarded as a professional servant to the executive
- Some bosses use their secretaries as scope goat and dehumanize them
before their visitors because such bosses see the secretaries as supporting staff who he believed cannot stand on their own
- OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of this study is to identify the role of a secretary in office administration and management specifically the study intends to:
- Find out the role of secretaries in office administration and management
- Ascertain the played by government in uplifting the state of secretaries in their employ
- Determine the factors militating enough for their roles in their organization
- Find out if modern facilities needed by secretaries in organization adequate.
- SCOPE OR DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study delved into the role of secretaries in office administration and management. It focus mainly on the ministry of finance Enugu.
- RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- What are the roles of secretaries in office administration and management?
2.To what extent have government at various tiers succeeded in uplifting the states of secretaries in their employ?
- What are the factors militating against the effective performance of the secretaries function in any organization
- To what extent have secretaries been remunerated for their role in their various organization?
- To what extent are the facilities needed by the secretaries in the organization adequate?
- SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
It is only when the result of any research is effectively used that the time and resources invested on it can be justified. Thus the result of this study would be of great importance for effective discharge of secretarial functions in all the office of ministry of finance. At least all the secretaries would be recognized hence their roles.
Office administration and management is a crucial issue as no organization can function without a properly managed office. The result would extent to the public services and business houses all over the country, as the role of a secretary would be adequately known and discharge.
This study would equally be of immense benefit to those students who whish to take secretarial administration as a profession.
It is hoped that the result of this research would educate the general public as to who a secretary is and the importance attached to the profession. Equally it would educate the secretary in understanding more about herself her role prospects constraints and chosen profession.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, eProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. eProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on eProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.