The topic of the research work was a survey of sexuality and contraception amongst undergraduates. The population of the study consists of higher education in Edo State, College of Education; Ekiadolor was taken as a case study. The respondents taken as the sample came from this higher institution, 100 respondents responded to the administration of the questionnaire. The data obtained were analyzed by the method of simple percentage for the research work. The statement of the major findings are as follows:
- Undergraduates should not practice the use of contraceptives.
- Contraceptive projects the interest of these that use it effectively
- There is a significant relationship between promiscuity and contraception among undergraduates.
- There is a significant relationship between sex education and abstinence.
- There is a significant relationship between sex education and incidence of sexually transmitted disease among undergraduates.
From the result of the research work, it was found that all the hypothesis were tenable.
TABLE OF CONTENT
- Statement of the problem
- Purpose of the study
- Significance of the study
- Scope of the study
- Limitations of the study
- Definition of terms
- Literature Review
- The psychological changes in boys and girls during adolescence
- The difference between man and woman psychological and physical difference
- Knowledge of sexuality and sex education among undergraduate
- Indices of sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancy among undergraduate in Nigeria.
- Acquired immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Effect of Religion and culture on the sexual outlook on undergraduates
- Research methodology
- Population of the study
- Sample and sampling procedure
- Method of data collection
- Research instrument
- Research instrument validity
- Method of data analysis
- Data analysis
Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
Nowadays. Inspite of the vast number of churches and religious activities in our streets and cities, promiscuity is on the high side among our unmarried undergraduates. In the days of our forefathers it was not so. The resultant effect of this degradation among undergraduate has given causes for alarm as they are unable to control their sexual desire. Today, sexual transmitted diseases are virtually in every home. Unwanted pregnancies and illegitimate children have flooded several homes. Given the fact that the target population here is primarily college undergraduates are relevant questions is whether providing contraceptive to undergraduates is socially accepted.
Sex is like electricity which has a tremendous force for good but when electricity runs wild, it is a terrible power for evil. Millions of good undergraduates have a wrong way use of sex, their lives twisted as if lightened have struck them. On the outside they look alright, you might never guess that sexual mistake have almost killed their happiness inside. The negative result of this uncontrollable force needs to be checked by the use of contraceptive. Our undergraduates need to guide against unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease.
So in this write-up we shall be looking at sexually and contraceptive among college undergraduates.
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Sexuality and contraceptive among undergraduates with regards to those students who specified colleges of education as their institutions is the concern of this study. The study of sexuality and contraceptive will invariably touch upon some socially explosive issues. Sexual promiscuity contraception, abortion, illegitimacy, prostitution and homosexuality are controversial issues. The change roles in our society should encouraged enlightenment programme on sex education with main focus on youths and undergraduates.
- PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
- To help prevent the spread of sexually transmitted disease among young undergraduate
- To enlighten young undergraduates and the general public the importance and use of contraceptives.
- To educate mainly the young undergraduates on the issues of sexuality and use of contraceptive.
- To review the literature on psychological correlate of contraceptives practical.
- To study intends to enquire into sexuality and use of contraceptives and evaluate how successful it is among undergraduates.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of the study is to promote further research on these variables with the most potential for predicting contraceptives behaviors, which will assist in the development and implementation of effective prevention and intervention programme especially issues concerning sexually transmitted disease i.e. HIV/AIDS. It does not focus on safer sex practice, rather it is dedicated primarily to reviewing the literature concerning correlates of unwanted pregnancies among undergraduates usually pills and condom use. This will also go along way to make profound contributions to medical issues like family planning, rate of contraception of sexually transmitted disease and effectiveness of contraceptive. More so the findings discussed here may be useful to sexuality experts involved in the development and promotions of safer sex programme. It is envisaged that this research will constitute a meaningful contribution to the ongoing debate on strategies for educating undergraduate on sexuality and contraception and also it will be of major help to the government health care centers, voluntary organizations in effort to reduce sexually transmitted disease. It also seeks to help identify undergraduates who either do not use or misuse contraception means, thereby putting them at the risk of unwanted pregnancies, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted disease.
- RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- Do undergraduates practice the use of contraceptives?
- Does contraceptive protect the interest of those that use it effectively?
- Is there a significant relationship between promiscuity and contraception among undergraduates?
- Is there a significant relationship between sex education and incidence of sexually transmitted disease among undergraduates?
- Is there a significant relationship between the knowledge of sex education and abstinence?
- There is a significant relationship between the knowledge of sex education and wholesome attitude to marriage.
- SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study shall focus on sexuality and contraceptive among undergraduate and will review the plight of sexuality and the use of contraceptive among students in college of education, ekiadolor, Benin, Edo State. These findings may not serve as a good generalization for the whole state or country but however, due to some similarities in the ways of the young undergraduates, the results in the findings can serve as a guide to what the situation could be in the country at large.
- LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
- One major factor that militated against this research work in the area of time and finance.
- Another limitation is in the use of closed ended questionnaires, which pre-supposes that then researcher know virtually all possible answer to a question. It is possible the questionnaires did not give the respondents enough opportunity to express their opinion the way the threats posed by these limitations, the empirical foundations of this research remains unquestionable as information where neither based on hear say, assumptions nor on more conceptualization of the situation by the researcher.
- DEFINITION OF TERMS
Sexuality: This is the feeling and activities connected with people’s sexual desire.
Survey: This is the investigation of the behaviour of the behaviour, opinions of a group of people.
Contraception: This is the practice of or methods used in deliberate preventing a woman becoming pregnant as a result of having sex.
Contraceptives: is a device or drug used ton prevent a woman becoming pregnant a women becoming pregnant.
Degradation: Living in utter.
Undergraduates: A university or college student who has not yet taken her or his first degree.
Flooded: A great quantity or volume of something that appears or is produced.
Abortion: The act of causing a pregnancy to end early. In order to prevent the baby from developing and being born alive.
Promiscuity: The practice of working as a prostitute.
Illegitimacy: Not allowed by the law or by the rules.
Homosexuality: Sexually attracted only to people of the same sex as oneself.
Sex education: Educating people about sex.
Family planning: This is the process whereby parents or couples have their children by choice and not by chance.
HIV: Human immunodeficiency virus.
AIDS: Acquired immune deficiency syndrome.
STD: Sexually transmitted disease.
Reproduction: The action or process of reproducing or the process of given birth to young ones.
Puberty: This is stage when person sexual organs are developing and he or she become capable of having children.
Clitoris: This is a small part of the female sex organs which becomes longer when the female is sexually excited.
Scrotum: This is the bag of skin enclosing the testiles in the most make animals.
Epidermis: The outer layer of the skin of the female genitals.
Anxiety: A nervous feeling caused fear that something bad is going to happen.
Trichonomiases: This is the itching of the vagina and vulva.
Gonorrhea: A disease of the sexual organs spread by sexual contact.
Syphilis: An intercourse by sexual contact.
Tuberculosis: A serious infectious disease in which swelling appears on nobody tissues.
Cervical: The narrow part of a woman’s womb where it joins the vagina.
Abstinence: The practice of abstaining from sex.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, eProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. eProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. The paid subscription on eProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.